toms32
on: 28 Oct 2009 [12:10]
Translate»
Not so long ago the new server got released. Pretty much every server has been based on some kind of "event" in the past. I am pretty sure that everyone knows of the Holy Grail and the Crusaders, but how many of you know of the Livonian brothers of the Sword? On here I will give information on Livonia.

~~~~~1204-1237~~~~~
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/LIVONIA_vulgo_Lyefland-Joan_Blaeu,_1662.jpg

This is Livonia in 1200s.
In the 12th century Livonia was economically expanding because many Danes and Germans used it for trading. In 1160s traders from Lubeck created a trading spot which in 1204 would become Riga and much later, the capital of Latvia. Bishop Albert of Riga(the person who created Riga in 1201) also created a military order known as Livonian Brothers of Sword. The army was mostly made of German warrior monks. Following their defeat by the Lithuanians in 1236, the survivors created an order known as the Livonian Order(Also known as Teutonic Knights). But in their 35 years of existence they did some remarkable tasks, like conquered Estonia(Which was an arrangement made by Valdemar II of Denmark) and it also helped to defend Finland from the Swedish Crusaders.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But this is only 30 years of the order and when I will have some free time(Or just stop being lazy) I will write more about it in later ages. Feel free add some information in the posts and yada-yada(:s8:)
crimson
on: 28 Oct 2009 [14:53]
if you go to the 1100ad wiki and type in servers in the search you will find a description of the servers as well as a link to Wikipedia on the Livonian Order...
toms32
on: 28 Oct 2009 [15:04]
Oh... Oh well... I was bored anyway... I will still keep on updating this, just so I could cure my boredom xD And thanks for telling me though.