buddystubs
on: 30 Jul 2009 [07:40]
updated: 30 Jul 2009 [07:57]
Translate»
how are army formations really used
crimson
on: 30 Jul 2009 [08:05]
Quote shabrendan:
Thought i'd put up a wholesome thread on different types of formations. I noticed through threads that people recommend putting the 'wives' (cheap people) in the front lines whilst putting ranged in the back lines, with knights possibly in the middle.

I know it depends what kind of army you face as to which formation is best, thus i was hoping people would shed some light on what formations go well against what type of armies.

For example, the above mentioned formation (pretty default style) is generally good against???

(all below assuming you also have a hero and few scouts and few rangers for vision)
What formation is good against:

-a ranged army with few melle (10%) in front line, but predominantly archers (70%) and marksmen (15%)?
-a few ranged (10%) in back line, but predominantly melle such as man at arms (40%) + knights (45%)?
-Etc etc..

AT the moment from what i've gathered the general consensus seems like formations only determine who dies first..thus thought the experienced war veterens could shed more light

Quote shabrendan:
Some important info found from other threads on general fighting (which can help formations) [thanks to jaded, yearight, crimson, hellstromm, feildmaster, vjaka and others]

Quote vjaka:
I think it is difficulty to divide your troops in such groups. More probably it is better to divide into few common strategies, first considers infantry (and archers/marksman and carts) - a large set of different troops, second considers tons of knights and horseman with a help of battle rams/catapults.
The third is mix of all troops. Personally I think that the third is better, but it is matter what is better for you with you tactical control, and against exact opponent.

Quote Del1jojuk:
For example, Pikeman is bad at catapult

Quote Vjaka:
Very bad/good/etc are just modification to base attack power. It does not mean that it should not be used against catapult, but this means that very bad = inflicts twice as less damage (for example), so you should calculate yourself what troops are better to use

Quote Jaded:
So for example lets look at knights vs archers.

Knights are very good against archers and have base attack of 50 and 110 life.

Archers are very bad against knights and have base attack of 4 and 25 life.

So these are not exact numbers but lets use them just to demonstrate the point.

If nothing was modified it would take 28 archers to kill 1 knight in 1 round.

But there is a modification. Lets say very good gives double damage and very bad gives half damage.

At this point it takes 55 archers to kill 1 knight in one round.

On the other hand, marksman are good against knights.

No modification it would take 16 marksmen to kill 1 knight in one round.

These are just round numbers to give the general example of how the modification works. Hope it helps a little bit.

If we give good versus a modifier of 1.5 times damage it would take 11 marksmen kill 1 knight in 1 round.

here is some good expertise...thanks jaded

oh btw..
Quote Vjaka:
You need to dig on the forums for the answers. But yes, formations changes your army alot.

another reason to stick it all here! add more ppl!
buddystubs
on: 30 Jul 2009 [08:14]
(:s4:) that probably took forever
crimson
on: 30 Jul 2009 [09:00]
updated: 30 Jul 2009 [09:01]
actually i quoted someone...I searched the forums and found that in 5 seconds, you could do the same...
gunner1700
on: 30 Jul 2009 [15:19]
wat i use and think is pretty good is in front line i put all my groud troops; pikemen, swordsmen, men at arms, and footpads/royal gaurd. Then in the 2nd line the calvier; horsemen, knights, scout, highway men. In the thrid line i put my archers, marksmen, rangers, and horse archers. In my back row go my hero, battle rams, and catapults, and sometime like a few other to troops to like guaurd my hero just in case.
buddystubs
on: 30 Jul 2009 [23:31]
making allies coordinates 28 17 valley2
buddystubs
on: 31 Jul 2009 [01:00]
anyone
(:s17:)
buddystubs
on: 31 Jul 2009 [07:28]
the best thing to watch wile waiting for construction is Dr tarn on you tube or happy tree friends warning that material is for people 14 and up viewer discretion advised(:s8:)